Survived the Week

I survived my week of Radioactive Iodine and Isolation!  I stayed only one night at the hospital…that was interesting.  The entire room was covered with paper or plastic (including the floor, toilet, and every doorknob).  But I finished a whole book, did exercises every hour, looked at magazines, and caught up on some mindless TV.  It went quickly and wasn’t bad.

Then started my 6 days at home by myself.  I had some nausea for the first several days but it was relatively mild.  I discovered that if I put surgical gloves on, I could freely use the computer so I was able to check work emails and work on some Shutterfly photo books (I’ve been meaning to do Beckett’s baby book for about 2 years now).

On about Day 4 I was REALLY missing my kids!!  I got to FaceTime with them each day but still missed them a lot.  I enjoyed the alone time and opportunity to “catch-up” on some things but it was odd to not be busy every second as a Mommy.  The kiddos come home in about an hour and I’m so excited to see them.

Thank you so much to my dear friend, Jodi, for the care package (one present for each of the 7 days of isolation) to keep me entertained this week!  And thank you to so many others for magazines, tea, organic fresh juice, and delicious food that was dropped off at my doorstep. 🙂  And thank you to my in-laws for allowing the kids and Jer to stay at their house for a week.  I am truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.

It really was not a bad week but I’m glad to have this behind me.  I had a full body scan about an hour ago and will get the results tomorrow.  Fingers crossed that the RAI killed most remaining thyroid cancer cells in my body (it will continue to kill some off for about 6 months so I will have another scan at 6 months and 1 year).

On another note, the rain has come!  I think it is officially here to stay.  We were lucky to have a wonderful September and most of October but it still takes a little “getting used to” the rain again for me.  I have to work harder to keep my “positive attitude” sometimes on gloomy weather days.  So on my way back from the hospital I rocked out to Pharrell Williams’ song “HAPPY” and stopped to get myself a Mocha (rarely have those anymore).  Bring on the Portland rain! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s